CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Allergies

We had Jaxon's allergy appointment last Thursday.
They poked his little back and discovered he is NOT allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, eggs & milk. Our biggest concern was/is the milk. The doctor said that his reactions sound more like a protein allergy and the milk stick on his back could come back negative and he could still have a reaction to it.
So what now you ask? We wait until he turns 2 and then we have to take him up to Primary Children's for a milk challenge test. I guess they will give him milk protein and watch him to see how he does. If he doesnt have a reaction, we're good to go...if he does, we wait until he is 4 and try it again. She did say that most grow out of the allergy by 2 and at least 95% by age 4.
I'm praying he does by 2. It is seriously hard to choose foods and read labels to make sure he doesnt get any milk. You'd be surprised at how many things out there contain a milk protein (McCormack taco seasoning)...seriously there are so many things out there. I have held on to hope that he will grow out of it so I havent pushed much food on him. He does not like many foods out there that he can eat because all I've really given him was baby food. I really think this has hurt me. If it were up to him, he'd eat Oreo's and drink his formula and be happy as a clam!
That's about it for now. Keep watching, there may be more news to come ;)

3 comments:

Mills Family said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed that he will be fine once he is 2 and all the tests will come back negative and he can start eating all kinds of foods. I still think he is going to be picky like his aunt mick though how fun for you guys!

Letters-2-Lily said...

I bet he will snap out of it! Hopefully you truly find out what is wrong and can move on. Hopefully we have more great news soon!

West Coast Sheehan's said...

I will also keep my fingers crossed for you. Bailey is allergic to peanuts (but can eat all other nuts) and raw egg whites (no licking the cookie dough bowl for her) so I understand your pain in having to read labels!!!!